FO from ages ago

Knitters often put off finishing details like sewing up garments, or blocking accessories. I have a number of finished projects that just needed to be photographed for sharing.  (It's ridiculous how one can procrastinate at times)

First up,  Dark Pearl by Carol Feller, knit in Alpaca Select 4 ply.
I originally knit this project as part of a KAL when it was released, (June 2014) but was unhappy with how the front sat. If I remember rightly, I think I had added some extra increases to the front section (really should have taken notes!) and found that I did not like how the gathered front sat; I'm sure the fluffy alpaca yarn did not help the lack of elegant draping as seen in the original pattern sample.

The yarn was from deep-stash; a giant cone of green alpaca with a subtle brown heathered effect, bought at the knitting & stitching show a number of years ago. I used less than half the cone for this garment; the rest has since gone to live with another knitter as I have found that alpaca yarn irritates me while knitting. 
After languishing in the to-do pile for some time, I ripped out & re-knit the front section, without any increases along the top front. The front hangs much better, but now that I'm looking at photos, I think I might reposition the buttons to avoid obvious visible gaping.
As is usual with Carol's patterns, the instructions are very clearly written, with plenty of encouragement for modifications to improve the fit. I would certainly consider re-knitting this with a slightly different lace pattern on the front, for example. The alpaca yarn is super-warm; great for cold weather but not too bulky. (It was perfect around last December, when I finished it for the second time!)

The second finished knit is Old Growth by Tin Can Knits.
The yarn is Spud & Chloe Sweater, which I received in a stash swap last summer (Thanks Grainne!)
I flew through this pattern while on our recent holiday in Kerry (or rather, while The Mister was driving there & back again).
I knitted the 2-4 year size, with some extra length as the Small Human is quite slim. The sleeves are long enough to turn up at the garter stitch cuffs for now. so, like most things I knit for her, it has some room for growing.  I also omitted the lace motif from the front.
As with most Tin Can Knits patterns, Old Growth is written in a wide variety of sizes, from newborn to large adult. The pattern is well-written; simple & straight forward, but with a little visual twist in the wide neck & off-centre button band. 

Photos of me were taken with the Small Human's assistance. We have been experimenting with a tripod & remote for the camera.  She's good at pressing the remote button; not so good at telling me that there's a tissue/ piece of paper sticking out of my arse pocket. Like many children, she's just begun play school.  I'm both proud & nervous for her quiet little self going off on new adventures; I'm grateful that I get to see her growing up, & make memories with her.  

Comments

Popular Posts