Sunday, October 16, 2011

Special delivery...

The results of an excited auntie-to-be clicking away on the knitting needles;

Yarn; 8 balls of Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
Modifications; because I was using DK weight yarn instead of the recommended aran weight, I added in an extra 20 stitches when casting on to allow for one extra lace repeat. I continued to knit until I was almost out of yarn.
Finished measurements after a good blocking; 80 cm wide x 101 cm long.





Cardigan Pattern; Offset Wraplan by Sara Morris in 3-6 months size.
Yarn; Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK.
Buttons are from Studio 54 in Blackrock.
The flame hat is an ode to my brother (the daddy)'s past like of flame shirts & boots, and of course, a cardigan to match. The cardigan numbers baffled me a bit; the back of the cardigan was much wider than the two fronts combined. The shape of the finished garment seems proportionately very wide, compared to its length. I do like it though, and will knit again with some modifications.
Pattern; Classic Cardigan by Debbie Bliss in 3-6 month size
Yarn; Baby Cashmerino; I used just under one ball of the contrast colour, and about 1 1/2 balls of the main colour.
Buttons; from Studio 54 in Blackrock.
I found the construction of this cardigan ridiculous; you are advised to knit the back & 2 fronts separately before seaming together and joining with the sleeves for the raglan decreases. I have since started to knit another one, and have cast on the back & 2 fronts in one go, allowing for seaming stitches.

Pattern; Duffel Coat by Debbie Bliss, in 3-6 months size
Yarn; Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
Buttons; from Studio 54 in Blackrock.
Modifications; I did not add pockets (seriously, what infant needs a pocket?) and used a 3 needle bind off to join the hood instead of casting off & sewing up later.

Pattern; Beyond Puerperium by Kelly Brooker in 6 − 12 month size
Yarn; Rialto DK
Buttons from Studio 54
Modifications; I wanted a contrast colour button band & edging; when knitting the body I omitted the button band stitches, & then picked up & knit the button band in contrast colour later. The similarity to Australia's sports colours is simply coincidence!

Pattern; made up, inspired by Wurm by katushika
Yarn; leftovers of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino DK
I cast on 68 stitches in the round; knit 2 x 2 ribbing for 3 cm, & then alternated between purl & knit bands, changing colour as I changed the stitches. Decreases were terribly fudged. I will probably make more of these, but suspect I would sit down & do some proper sums first!

Pattern; made up
Yarn; Debbie Bliss Rialto DK
I seem to have a thing for horizontal stripes on babies. I suppose, they don't worry about whether or not their bums look big in stripes. 
After all of this, I has the baby knits fatigue. Just another hat to make & I'm done though. And then I can move on to some adult-sized things in hand-wash only yarns, huzzah!

3 comments:

  1. Wow you have been busy! Lovely presents. I've reached my baby knitting limit too and have finally CO for something for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, amazing work, missus! What a lucky baby. My friend just had twins so thanks for the ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knitted the Shale blanket too and it's a lovely pattern. Your one looks just lovely, perfect for a new baby.

    ReplyDelete