Making Christmas

So I may have been a bit too distracted by the food & the tea & the sitting on the bum to post over Christmas, but here's a little catch up of my festive makings. Of course, I decided, again, to make various gifts at the last minute. This would have been fine if I hadn't made a terrible error with one of the knits, which resulted in ripping back 4 whole days of knitting. 

The obligatory mound of iced gingerbread cookies: After browsing on Pinterest I was inspired to try some toadstool shaped cookies; after attempting to cut one out I was inspired to stick with the cookie cutters.

Tea Cosy in Studio Donegal Aran Tweed;
This was knit for a cousin as a belated house-warming gift. Two shades of the deliciously rough Aran Tweed, in stocking & reverse stocking stitch, with a wee i-cord edging. I'm toying with the idea of refining this & writing it up as a pattern. I hope it insulates many pots of tea for the recipient & family.

Ravi Junior by Carol Feller, knit in Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino;
It took me a while to get the hang of the short row sections in the cardigan yoke; I suspect I was having a brain dead moment & just didn't get the rhythm of the pattern repeats for a while. Then I miscounted the stitches at the point of separating the sleeves; which I didn't even notice until I had knit almost the entire cardigan body. This lack of attention resulted in a loss of 4 days knitting & a last-minute gift-knitting panic.
I knit the 4 year old size, intended for a tall but slim two and half year old (I like to give things with room for growing), using a smaller tension than recommended. This cardigan is finished off in i-cord edging... I think I've developed an addiction. Once I got over my own inability to count, I enjoyed knitting this & am happy with the finished garment.



Lalaloopsy Doll in Patons Fab DK;
Amy Gaines' Fairy Doll pattern was the basis for this doll, intended to look like Lalaloopsy.
I used wee scraps of fluffy lace (suspected alpaca blend) for the underskirt.

According to the website the Lalaloopsy dolls come to life when their last stitch is sewn. Entirely appropriate then, to knit the doll instead of buying some strangely hideous plastic thing.
I used buttons for eyes, and crocheted the ringlets; and then picked up stitches around the waist of the doll to begin the skirt (I don't see the point in unnecessary sewing).

 Let's not think of the Other Mother in Coraline....

I found knitting this doll strangely addictive; had I had enough time I would have knit a wee hooded jacket to suit too. I'm almost toying with the idea of knitting a second doll just so I can make her clothes. Not for playing with though...

I'm still in the process of making a couple of other gifts; perfectly acceptable when you intentionally celebrate Christmas at a later date with certain friends.

Comments

Popular Posts