Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sewing - Little Summer Dress

During the recent warm weather I've mostly been dressing the small human in loose light dresses & leggings. I picked up this little frock in H&M recently, and figured the construction was simple enough to imitate; raglan sleeves with an a-line body and a little bit of elastic at the neck & sleeve to gather. No buttons, no zippers.
All of the cottons I had in fabric stash seemed a little too heavy for the humid weather. I used lighter cotton fabric from an old blouse of mine (it had a hole in one sleeve and a wee tea stain in the front that wouldn't wash out) and some cord elastic I had lying about the house. I won't show off the internal seams, as I was up to my usual tricks of just lashing things together haphazardly. Must do better next time. (for the record, the dress is not as wonky as it appears in this photo. Must also play closer attention when taking photos!)

There were pleats & darts on the front of the original blouse that I kept in the fabric; it's extra room for air to circulate on warm days. Though, now that the dress is done the weather has turned cooler! I'm delighted to make something useful out of damaged clothing; I've still got some scraps of the fabric left that may become bunting or patchwork eventually. 

I haven't posted about knitting in a while; I'm working away on quite a few too many things at once, as usual. I've just picked up Rialto 4ply for my next planned project; Hansel by Gudrun Johnston.  I'll be combining existing stash with the new yarn, and joining in with This is Knit's Hap-along... once I get a couple of other ongoing projects out of the way.

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Finished project ; Reversible Hooded Play Cape

My niece has just turned four.  Her most favourite thing at the moment is to 'be' Elsa from Frozen. So I thought she might appreciate an Elsa-coloured cape to swirl and flounce in. 
I used the Reversible Hooded Play Cape from Growing up; Sew Liberated by Meg McElwee.

I thought long & hard, & dragged out most of the fabric stash before settling on a red corduroy bought years ago combined with an aqua blue satin-ish fabric from Murphy Sheehy's, convinced that shiny fabric would be more 'princessy' in the mind of a 4 year old. 

I am a very inexperienced sewer; I have never actually used a commercial pattern before, but I found both the pattern and written instructions clear & thorough.


 I did learn a valuable lesson about fabric choices in this project. That shiny blue fabric slipped & moved like crazy during every stage of the project; the red corduroy also slipped in an entirely different direction. I've never been hugely accurate at cutting and sewing fabric, and as a result I ended up trimming off quite a bit of fabric from the edges.
Luckily, the fit of the project is not critical and I ended with a wearable cape. Though the only available model was far from impressed with being asked to sit or stand still....

For the record, I did try it on, and I am tempted to sew an adult sized version. I look forward to making dressing up clothes for my own little one when she is a little older.