Bluestockings

Several weeks later, my plans have become a reality. I started with 2 skeins of undyed Schoppel-Wolle Admiral Stränge & several pots of Ashford Wool dyes.
As per the dye instructions, I made up a dye pot using the blue & navy dyes & added the wet base yarn to the dye pot. I then added a few dashes of teal dye, to give a semi-solid colour. When the dye had dried I was not impressed with the teal highlights against the blue but decided to knit on.
Pattern; Toe-up Socks with a Difference by Wendy D Johnson, combined with Ringwood stitch pattern from Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks.
Needles; 2.25
Method; I knit the socks as in Wendy's pattern, but using the Ringwood stitch pattern for the stitches across the top of the foot.  After finishing the heel, I knit around the whole sock in the ringwood stitch pattern. After an inch or so,I added in two increases, one either side of the centre seam stitch at the back of the calf. I continued these increases every inch or so up the leg of the sock. I then changed to 2 x 2 ribbing for about two - three inches, and then cast off. I'm quite happy with the results. The ribbing is a little loose, so will have to see how these socks hold up while wearing. I may re-do the ribbing with fewer stitches.

This knitting project started with a book;
'Bluestockings: The Remarkable Story of the First Women to Fight for an Education' by Jane Robinson. I wouldn't say that I enjoyed this book. The tone of the writing was a little too conversational, and the book gives many many very brief examples of individual women & their experience of education. I would have preferred a more thorough description of a smaller quantity of women.
However, I was engrossed in the subject matter  & was thoroughly enraged by Victorian and early 20th Century attitudes towards women, both of male authority figures & of the women & their female peers. I am certainly relieved that things have improved here in Europe, where there are laws to protect our equality, even if some individuals' attitudes are still lacking. Although with the recent International Womens' day, we have been reminded that there are still many in the world where women are ignored, mistreated & abused by their family and society. 


This reminds me how good I've had it; with a third-level qualification, and a male companion who treats me as an equal. Different, but equal.

Comments

Popular Posts