Finished knits

In spite of kid-related chaos and chronic lack of organisation on my part. I have actually been finishing some knits.

Welly socks for the Small Human, knit in Schoppel Wolle Zauberball Starke 6. Pattern of my own devising. The Small Human is quite happy with any bit of pink, though the weather has been less welly-friendly lately. 

Lamitra by Woolly Wormhead in Townhouse Yarns Grafton 4 ply. I tinkered with this one a little to have less volume in the finished hat; I cast on using the instructions for a size smaller than intended, and omitted the short rows by the brim. I adore the subtle speckles in Townhouse Yarns Prism colourway so much that it was hard to give this one away (to my mother!)

Vanilla by Kelly van Niekerk in Studio Donegal Soft Donegal. 
I have this lanolised & ready to use, but still haven't actually put my faith in wool and lanolin as a wee barrier. *One of these days...

A pair of coordinating frocks for the Small & Smallest Humans. Pattern of my own devising, it's a top-down raglan with side increases in the body for an a-line fit. The yarn was dyed by me in a fit of experimentation some time ago. 

Knitting continues when kids & time management & my ability to ignore housework allow. As the Smallest Human is now 6 months old, I've been trying to encourage the designer part of my brain back in action. The one thing I have re-learned so far is to swatch. Swatch. Always swatch. 

*I am advised that lanolin treated wool has seemingly magical properties when it comes to cloth nappies. Apparently it allows wetness from nappies to evaporate, keeping baby's clothing and sheets dry overnight. Lanolin can also be used as skin moisturiser. It would seem that sheep are magical creatures. 

Comments

  1. Wool covers work! It's not because of the evaporation as much as the lamp repelling moisture back into the diaper. The cover will only be as good as the absorbency beneath it (don't expect a regular prefold to hold overnight just because of the wool cover...), but it's pretty magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the problem of layperson's explanations of the magic of lanolin & wool. I suppose, if it keeps the rain away from sheep! Thanks for the informative comment :)

      Delete
  2. Wool covers work! It's not because of the evaporation as much as the lamp repelling moisture back into the diaper. The cover will only be as good as the absorbency beneath it (don't expect a regular prefold to hold overnight just because of the wool cover...), but it's pretty magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 5mo (tomorrow) and I always make sure her wool hap is folded in a triangle and spread under her, even if she doesn't need it wrapped around her, because occasionally her nappy leaks and her baby gro will be soaked but her blanket (and the mattress underneath!) is always dry to the touch. Wool absorbs a lot of water without feeling wet.

    That said, I've never tried a soaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was aware of wool's magical properties of feeling dry when wet (or wetter than other fibres) I've noticed the same with my kiddo; nappy might leak but the wool blanket underneath feels dry. I really should actually use the soaker!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts