Liath

I'm still playing catch-up with the pattern releases...

Liath (pronounced lee-ah, and meaning 'grey' in Irish) was released earlier this year. This is a triangular garter stitch shawl, featuring a slipped stitch motif.
The pattern came to life after I bought some gorgeous mini skeins from Ellie and Ada at last year's Woollinn Festival. It took me a while to figure out how best to combine these colours, and my love for soothing garter stitch.
This shawl was designed to showcase a  set of mini skeins, combining one large semi-solid yarn with complementary semi-solid and speckled yarns. The mini skeins are arranged in a 'fade' progression, providing more contrast with the main colour as the shawl progresses. 
The pattern begins by casting on just a few stitches, working in alternating garter stitch stripes, and increasing the stitch count as you work. The mini skeins are arranged in a fade progression, with the slipped stitch pattern changing as each new colour is introduced.



EDIT: The pattern is available to buy on Payhip at this link, or in my Ravelry Store. 

I do love this shawl, and do tend to wear it more than others on a chilly day. I find simple garter stitch patterns incredibly soothing, and am tempted to make more. I'll be keeping an eye out for mini skeins at this year's Woollinn.

Comments

Popular Posts