Sunday, June 12, 2011

Finished object; Laminaria shawl

Before blocking, knitted lace can look a bit, well, unpleasant. (I have used the phrase 'elephant scrotum')
After blocking, it is transformed!
Pattern; Laminaria by Elizabeth Freeman.
Yarn; Alpaca Lace by Dublin Dye Company
I had my issues with this pattern; mostly because it can sometimes be difficult to maintain concentration for hours of fine knitting. I'm not a hugely experienced lace knitter so it can take a while for me to see & recognise an emerging pattern in the lace stitches. As a result I can't read my knitting & notice errors immediately, so there were some lengthy sessions unpicking & re-knitting to fix errors. All difficulties aside, I am delighted with the finished shawl; I love the gently rounded droplet shapes of the border stitch pattern & feel like A Very Clever Knitter while wearing it.
And because it is knit in an alpaca yarn, it is surprisingly warm. Beautiful & cosy; I suspect William Morris would have approved.*



*I am currently reading 'The Children's Book' by AS Byatt; this novel is set around the turn of the 20th century & the characters all have interest in the literary, social & design movements of that time.

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Well worth the effort.

    Lols at elephant scrotum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really showed that elephant who's boss!
    Simply beautiful work, hon. Very well done to you.

    ReplyDelete