December Knits round-up

While I did not fall for the usual knitted gift madness this year, I have been finishing quite a few knits over the last few weeks including;
A boomerang-style scarf for the Small Human, knit in a handspun yarn from stash.

A cardigan for the Small Human, based on Bella by Dani Sunshine & knit in Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. I omitted the cables & knit garter stitch bands around the yoke in contrast colours, & knit sleeve & body hems in garter stitch. I started knitting multiple colours in each garter stitch band, but decided this was too busy.... once I had finished knitting the body. I ended up ripping & re-knitting just the yoke, bottom up, by fudging a series of decreases as I went.

Another Zapote by Carol Feller.  Knit in Rico Essentials Soft Merino Aran
18 month size, intended for my 3 month old nephew with (quite a lot of) room to grow...
Gentleman's Half Hose in Ringwood by Nancy Bush, knit in Noro Kureyon Sock. started almost a year ago & shoved into a drawer in favour of something more exciting... or something for somebody else. Kureyon Sock is my favourite yarn for socks, and I love the reworked vintage sock patterns in Nancy Bush's Knitting Vintage Socks. Quite a few of the patterns are mid-calf length & feature calf shaping for a better fit - my favourite kind of sock. Just a pity that I got a little bored of knitting, & did not decrease the cuff quite as small as called for in the pattern as the ankle area is a little baggy.

And finally, a cardigan for Ariel... because her arms looked cold in a wee strappy dress. I used some leftover sport weight Millamia yarn, and some shiny buttons from the button jar that just happened to suit the doll's dress. I used Elizabeth Zimmerman's EPS proportions for this cardigan, top down & with raglan shaping. It is quite generous fitting, with the hope that certain little fingers will be easily able to dress the doll as wished. 

I suppose this would be the traditional time for a year-end round up, but appropriate words escape me. This has been an eventful personal year, and there have been times when I have been so grateful to have knitting as a distraction; as something to do when there is nothing else is meaningful enough.  Wishing you all a peaceful 2016.

Comments

Popular Posts